When I turned 60, some years ago, I decided to do as much as I could to stay healthy.
After more than 45 years around the operating room, I’d seen too many senior folks who had simply given up on themselves. And sometimes, I couldn’t help thinking that a little more self-care along the way might have helped.
People love saying things like, “60 is the new 40.” I never bought into that kind of crap.
Time isn’t going to stop or reverse for any of us. But we can meet the transition in better shape.
For me, one answer was biking.
I made a few nutritional changes, dusted off the ole Jamis, Earth Cruiser step-through, STEP-THROUGH!? Damn right, I ain't takin' no chances. Safety first.
It took a while to get certain body parts accustomed to that kind of activity, if you know what I mean.
But after a week of riding around familiar territory, I stretched it another five miles. Then ten. Before long, I was riding everywhere.
I kept it up for three years, and I honestly believe those miles helped put me in the condition I’m in today.
Knock on wood.
If you’re looking for a simple way to get moving again, maybe dust off that old bike.
You might be surprised where it takes you. Save some gas and a little money while you're at it. If you're planning to buy a new one, be careful; do some research and don't go overboard. Bikes have become crazy expensive. A replacement rim for my Jamis calls for me to fork out around $85.00. Not unless you're one of those rich folks; then have at it.
Thinking about getting back on a bike?
If I were starting again today, this is the style of comfortable step-through cruiser I’d look at, .Schwinn Beach Cruiser
As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases.
Stay Healthy
M.N.Curry
No comments:
Post a Comment